The Quitter- Poem by Robert William Service

This is one poem I love because the  poet tells it just as it is, no sugarcoating of the truth.
In my teenage years, I was very shy, insecure and usually wanted to be pitied. Medical school didn't make it any easier, I wanted to quit so many times; I felt I wasn't smart or good enough but then I'd read this poem from my little jotter where I had scribbled the entire poem (I had many of those quotes and poems then).

From the poem I realised, anyone can give up, but only the strong continue. Here I am today, not where I want to be but I've crossed those hurdles that were previously insurmountable because I persevered.

If you are going through anything right now, don't give up, stand up and fight. Only cowards give up and I know you are not one. 

I hope you enjoy this poem as much as I did and still do!

The Quitter by Robert Service

 When you're lost in the Wild, and you're scared as a child, 
And Death looks you bang in the eye, 
And you're sore as a boil, it's according to Hoyle 
To cock your revolver and . . . die. 
But the Code of a Man says: "Fight all you can," 
And self-dissolution is barred. 
In hunger and woe, oh, it's easy to blow . . . 
It's the hell-served-for-breakfast that's hard. 

"You're sick of the game!" Well, now, that's a shame. 
You're young and you're brave and you're bright. 
"You've had a raw deal!" I know -- but don't squeal, 
Buck up, do your damnedest, and fight. 
It's the plugging away that will win you the day, 
So don't be a piker, old pard! 
Just draw on your grit; it's so easy to quit: 
It's the keeping-your-chin-up that's hard. 

It's easy to cry that you're beaten -- and die; 
It's easy to crawfish and crawl; 
But to fight and to fight when hope's out of sight -- 
Why, that's the best game of them all! 
And though you come out of each gruelling bout, 
All broken and beaten and scarred, 
Just have one more try -- it's dead easy to die, 
It's the keeping-on-living that's hard.

Comments