Woman Loses Eye After Visit To The Dentist

The last thing that comes to mind when paying a visit to the doctor is something bad, like a freak accident could happen to you. But before you get too comfy, remember anything could happen, like this New Jersey mom who lost her eye to a dental error.

Jenn Morrone went to see her dentist for a root canal  and her dentist didn't offer her any eye protection for the procedure, contravening industry standards.

During the procedure, a needle used for a Novocaine injection fell in her eye, transferring bacteria from her mouth which caused a serious infection that resisted antibiotics and multiple surgeries.

The routine procedure ultimately caused the loss of Morrone's eye and she now wears a prosthetic eye.

"This was 100% preventable, what happened to me," Morrone told CBS Philly. "If eye protection was worn, we wouldn't be here and I would still have my vision and my life would be a lot different."

While Morrone did reach a settlement with the dentist, who must remain anonymous according to the terms, she took away another important lesson. She's now campaigning for eye protection at the dentist, starting with her Facebook page Jenn's Vision. "I had to fight back the only way I could," she said. "And one of the most important things to me was making sure this didn't happen again."



Comments