Canadian baby without a gender

Canadian baby Searlyn Atli may be the first baby in the world without an 'assigned' gender on their health card. According to BBC, the baby's parent, Kori Doty, a non-binary transgender person who identifies as neither male nor female aims to allow the child to discover their own gender.

If you're wondering, there is a "U" in place of the usual 'M' or 'F' [for male or female] that represents "undetermined" or "unassigned".



Kori, who prefers to use the pronoun 'they' wants to keep the child's sex off records to allow them to discover their own gender, and avoid going through the difficulties of changing their documents in the future.

"When I was born, doctors looked at my genitals and made assumptions about who I would be, and those assignments followed me and followed my identification throughout my life," Kori said.

Source: theshaderoom.com

Comments